The Historic Preservation Commission met for their regular meeting on April 23, 2014, the highlight of the meeting was the review of an application for historic landmark status for the property at 227 North Ivy Avenue.
|Before restoration--note the enclosed porch.|
We've walked and driven by this house so many times and to be honest, it never really caught our attention. Over the years, many modifications were made that, at least from a preservationist’s point of view, could be classified as unfortunate. The most prominent change was the enclosing of the front porch.
Typically not ones to judge, but we can't help but ask, with a beautiful porch like that, what were they thinking?
Fast forward to this time last year, the property sold. The new owners had simply planned to fix it up a bit, but as the project moved along and stuff started coming off, they realized the treasure buried beneath—both outside and inside.
Talk about transformations.
The new owners removed the plywood porch enclosure and replaced the aluminum sliders (windows, not mini-burgers) with custom built wood windows that replicated the remaining original windows on the house. So in the end, the house looked like it did when it was built in 1913 and would still be recognized by Charles and Gertrude Reed, the first owners.
|"Stair step" rafter tails|
Oh, and the interesting grill in the front gable...although it had probably been there for a long time, the Commission determined that it was not original and should be removed.